Did you know that over 75% of video game packaging is made of plastic? Currently, only a small amount of packaging is made from recycled materials and it can be difficult to find somewhere that will recycle the packaging once you have finished with it. In 2019, SEGA developed new, revolutionary packaging for Football Manager 2020 that was 100% recycled and 100% recyclable. Here, you'll discover more about green practices within the video games industry...
What will you learn?
In this unplugged activity you will be using SEGA’s packaging template to plan and design your own packaging for Planet Simulator, a fictional game that teaches its players all about how different activities effect the environment.
Suitable for ages: 7 -16 years.
How do I take part?
- Download the activity resources below
- Carefully read the Game Design Document
- Design your packaging for Planet Simulator! If you would like to print the net template, details of how to do this are included in the worksheet below.
If you enjoyed this activity, you can enjoy the full Eco Gamer workshop.
Teachers, you can find all workshop resources below.
Here you can learn how to plan a social media campaign to promote the use of more environmentally packaging.
- To begin, we will learn about brand identity and design one for your own version of Planet Simulator
- Next, we will learn about the different social media platforms and what audiences they appeal most to, using this information to identify the best platforms for telling people about your missing to make game packaging more sustainable
- Finally, we will design posts for each of your chosen platforms to promote the adoption of eco-friendly packaging and advertise your version of Planet Simulator!