Scratch Stories: A parent’s guide to computing at home
Following on from last week’s workshop, Just Dance with the Algorithm, this week’s workshop in our computing at home teaching series is Scratch Stories, a workshop that will build on your childs understanding of storytelling and then introduce them to how they can develop this as a digital story.
This workshop is perfect for ages 5 -11 years.
Part 1 of the workshop will investigate what makes a good story and how this can be converted into a digital story.
- To begin, we will think about what makes a good story
- We will then listen to a short story and use it to identify key features of a story such as the characters, plot and setting
- Finally, we will plan our own digital story
Part 2 of the workshop will teach your child how to create their digital story using Scratch.
- To begin, we will learn how to import assets (these are all the things you will be using in your game i.e. images, sound etc.)
- Next, we will learn how to create an animation using a sequence of images
- Finally, we will learn how to add interactivity to our story so the reader can choose their own ending
I hope your little learners enjoy Scratch Stories please do get in touch with me at email@example.com if you have any comments or feedback on the workshop and don't forget to check out all our past workshops, here.